What is an SEO Audit service?
A website SEO audit is a service that consists in analysing a website wih or without a particular problem in mind. The goals are to
- diagnosing what the issues are
- kickstarting an SEO strategy
- providing actionable SEO recommendations
The analysis goes through various phases of research and discovery, taking into account key ranking factors, website performance best practices, and professional SEO knowledge.
The resulting report will be an actionable list of recommendations.
The leading SEO tools I use to crawl websites and perform analysis or forensic assessment for the basic SEO audit package are mainly desktop-based crawling tools. I find it sufficient when dealing with small and even medium-sized websites:
- ScreamingFrog, it’s a must
- Sitebulb, for better visualizations and validations
- SEMrush crawler does present the https issues nicely.
- Siteliner for duplicate content
- SEMrush crawler does present the https issues nicely
- Website Auditor by SEO Powersuite
- Google Page Speed and GTMetrix
- Google Search Console and Google Analytics
- Google Lighthouse
- A range of Chrome extensions for page markup, snippet validation, SEO analysis, LRT toolset, GTM, etc
For websites going beyond 20,000 urls I prefer to use more robust, cloud-based crawling tools. I have used Botify extensively in the past.
- Oncrawl, to crawl large sites, conduct a more thorough analysis of the data
- Sistrix, for analysis on large-scale websites, looking at rankings and traffic by segments.
- Ahrefs site audit to ascertain traffic strength, performance gaps and crawl issues, as well as backlink health
- Mangools, to perform ad-hoc keyword research or targeting
Suppose you have a website that needs attention and does not have a budget to commission an SEO audit.
In that case, I may be able to offer you a discount for your startup or even a free audit if your company qualifies as a charity.
If you run a commercial business, I can only suggest you contact me with all the details, and I will do my best to propose a custom solution with estimated deliverables and outputs in line with your budget.
The alternative to outsourcing an SEO audit is to try and follow industry advice and audit checklists to perform the analysis yourself. You may want to read some of my articles on technical SEO.